Sewing My Life Together

Getting Caught Up

Well, as I’ve said before, I have a busy life. I work 35+ hours a week with kids on the autism spectrum, I go to the gym 4 times a week, I continue to study my ‘crafts’ (I am taking a course online in Floortime for kids with Autism Spectrum Disorder, another four-week class in dyeing and painting on fabric) but what has really occupied me lately is our cats….or rather, the one who had been peeing on my carpets. His urinary tract problem appears to be gone, but the smell persists. I was advised to use a black light to see the spots where he peed, but that did not work. So we use the ‘sniff test’…sniffing the carpet on hands and knees. Yesterday I spent two hours scrubbing a particularly bad section of the carpet, then wet-vacuuming the water up, then spraying it with Nature’s Miracle. This morning, still the smell of cat urine remains. I want to just tear up the carpets and throw them away, but we can’t afford to redo the entire floors. So this afternoon once again I will be on my hands and knees trying to find the smelly spots and scrubbing and then using our wet-vac….it’s awful, but I can’t live with the smell.

I also discovered that this cat had sprayed (peed) into and under the TV cart, in which I had stored about ten articles of Bruce Springsteen concert reviews, interviews, and other ‘fan’ items I had been collecting….they are sadly out in the trash!

And I am seriously thinking about getting rid of the cat, but I’d still have the smell. It’s so exhausting.

So, as a diversion, I spent some time Friday night and Saturday afternoon dying some more fabric. Even if I only have a half-hour, this is a great way to keep in touch with fabric.

This is how I do it.

I cut small pieces of muslin or sheet fabric, and get out my Dye-Na-Flow dyes.

Fabric and textile dyes

I wet the fabric (under the faucet in the bathroom sink), and gather a group of zip-lock bags.

Then, I pour in to one bag either a single color, or a combination, depending on the effect I want to get. Sometimes I pleat the fabric, sometime I tie it all around with string, and put it in the bag to soak.

Here I am trying to achieve a yellow-brown….I am planning a landscape with my greens, blues, and browns.

I let them soak for a day or two, then squeeze the fabric (while it is still in the bag to prevent dripping) and lay it out on a drying rack to dry. I always put a drip cloth underneath.

And so these are some of the colors as they have turned out:

These arethree shades of brown covered with a yellow-dyed piece of lace.

Tonight I will heat-set all of these dyed pieces and see if I can find the right colors and shapes for a small landscape. I have about two hours tonight when I can work…wish me luck…

Advertisements
This entry was published on October 8, 2012 at 12:45 am. It’s filed under Crafts, Fabric Landscapes, Interests, Landscapes, Painted on Fabric, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

One thought on “Getting Caught Up

  1. Shirley on said:

    I loved learning about your process and seeing the pics! Also, very sorry about the situation with your cat. Good luck with that…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: