I’ve been working on some household/schooly things (like reporting fraud on my credit card and taping my receipts together for my instructional materials purchased in 2011) so I haven’t made it to my sewing machine. Tonight involves some tedious revising of an article I am co-writing on DIR/Floortime, so I do not think there will be any new projects this week.
I found this pattern online and since I had some extra linen, I thought I’d try it. Here’s a photo of the bag on the tutorial:
I thought it was kind of cute and quick. So, I took some linen that I had lying around and printed on it with paint and stamps….and put it together.
Clearly my photo is not as nice as the original one, but here are a couple of thoughts I had.
I measured carefully but mine seems to be so much larger than the pattern. It’s 19 inches across…which is huge. There is no lining or facing, so it sags quite a bit. I sewed some accents with red thread (zig-zags) and I really do not like the black elastic loop….but I also thought white looked worse. I could have used ribbon, and I might try that for the next one I make.
I have been loving experimenting with painting on fabric, thaks to Linda Branch Dunn (http://lindabranchdunn.blogspot.com/), who is a wonderful artist and teacher. But I have yet to actually figure out how to use my painted fabric constructively…or artistically. I have used this bag a couple of times and because it’s not structured I don’t like it too much. I also made the strap to the pattern’s standards but find that it is way too long for me (I am short). So next time I will:
1. Experiment with different color paints
2. Shorten the strap
3. Make the bag only 14″ wide, not 19″.
4. Use a different closure.